Thursday, September 18, 2008

Flash Back Friday



This was a picture from Jr. High....you can clearly see that bad bangs were very hot that year!
I was talking to McCall about school and stuff and it got me thinking about how great those years were. In elementary school everyone was cool. You just hung out with whomever....when you had a party there were so many to chose from that you just picked your closest few. There were no "popular" or "not popular" -- sure there was always someone who picked their nose or maybe didn't wash enough and carried a disturbing aroma -- but other than personal hygiene issues no one differentiated between "cool" or "uncool". One week you are playing with one friend and the next with someone else and it doesn't matter.


Then Jr. High hits and with such a huge number of students you start to see fellow classmates in categories. Unfortunately, at such a young age kids struggle to find "their" group. By high school things settle back down a bit. You find your place and get comfortable with your skin and the social circles open back up. With such a huge number of student bodies it is impossible to hang out with everyone but unlike in Jr. High you mature and realize that there are lots of "COOL" groups.It has been so much fun to keep up on some of those friendships! Not only those from school but those from church.
I have been so fortunate to keep up with some of my home ward girls -- we grew up together -- and while maybe we didn't always run in the same immediate circles -- we were always joined by our time learning to live the gospel of Jesus Christ. It is so amazing to see what wonderful women they have become and renew those friendships! I'm so glad we keep in touch.
Talking to McCall about her friends and her upcoming advancement into the Faith in God program I am so excited for the friendships she will make! I hate to see her grow up and I love my babies but she is just so much fun right now. I hope that she will be able to treasure those friendships like I do and look back on this time with happy memories.

5 comments:

Amy C. said...

I love the big bangs too. I have several of those photos. I am excited McCall is reaching the age of 8! Such a big time in life.

Pyatt said...

That is just the way I remember you. I love that picture!!! Is that Jill in front of Lisa?

Lisa Call said...

hahahahaha! I love it... I love the sentiment of the post, of making good friends that influence you along the way and you always keep. And I am laughing my butt off at that picture!!! Were we all serious with those bangs????? AGH.

Erin said...

This is a total crack-up! I remember you well with your rather high-standing hair. You and Lisa, actually. Wow, wow.

Summer said...

Oh my goodness! What girls are in that picture I cant even tell!!!!