

Since conference last October, Erik and I have been wondering about our year supply. So at the beginning of this year we started tracking what we use. We listed common items on a list and then wrote the open date in the first column and when it was used up in the second column. We were then able to see what we needed... we were pretty close in our years supply but somethings were a little under and a couple things I had been storing way too much of. I thought I'd make my list available in case it might help any of you.
This said, let me just say that this is based on our families needs and uses (family of 5 - now 6). Some people may wash clothes more often, or less (I'm a fanatic about washing sheets once a week). And you would need to gear some items for what you use (we use JUMBO rolls of Charmin so you'd need to adjust your amount if you use a normal size roll).
Also, I store one more than what I need, so if I need 8 jugs of laundry soap I have 9 so that when I finish #9, I purchase a new one and thus always have 8 always in storage... or if I need 2 packages of Dove soap for the year, I have a third that is open and in use. Again when I get close to using that package I purchase a new one so I always have two unopened packages for our years supply.
Comprehend??? You could get quite O.C. about it but the idea is to just do your best to store approximately a years surplus.
Our church lists a lot of what to store per person for a year (like water, flour, sugar, salt, etc.), so we are relying on those figures for now, and a lot of the food storage changes from week to week based on what we are using for the meal, we have tracked some of our basics, like peanut butter, pancake mix, etc. and I'll be listing those amounts in the future.
For now this is what we use... it's pretty complete on the basic household & personal items we want to have. I always keep one extra case of diapers and wipes on top of one that's being used.
I haven't listed medicines, band aids, q-tips etc. cause it's too hard... I just store way more than I should because I'd rather be safe than sorry... right now I have 5 plus 1 opened bottles of children's Tylenol... More than I probably need but I never want to run out and make my kids suffer through a fever or something. I usually don't have this much but it's the beginning of flu season so I always stock up so by the end of the season I still have a years supply... and hey who wants to go the the store sick and contaminate everyone else to pick up medication. Oh and you have to stock up on Sudafed (behind the counter kind) 2pkgs over a distance of time or they will think you are making drugs or something!!!
Hope this might be helpful to some of you... we just totally revamped out 72hr kits too so I'll post about that soon too.
Oh and just to get this out in the air before I get the question ... YES my food storage room is VERY full.
1 comment:
Pretty Impressive! Thanks for sharing...it's no wonder as to why I always think of you as some one to be like:-)
Post a Comment