Monday, April 27, 2009

Kids Summer Jobs

I've been sharing some things which are helpful in my life -- hopefully others may benefit or have ideas for me! For the past couple of years I have used these cards for my little ones. I just wrote out the task, found clip art, printed them on white card stock, cut and then laminated. Each morning during the summer I deal out cards for each child. They have a little envelope thing that is magnetized to the fridge which they place completed cards in.


The best thing is you can totally make them specific to your needs. Some are easy and basic - ones they'd do anyway like make bed/brush teeth -- they get those cards every morning but they feel good when placing them in the completed envelope. We've got dust, clean up toys, (help) empty dishwasher, sweep kitchen, homework and reading. Not everyone might need one that consists of picking up wood chips from the lawn, but every two weeks or so, my girls get a card and they go out back with small pails and pick up the wood chips from the lawn along the play set area. OR a yoga card, but I purchased a children's yoga set and some summer mornings they get that one. We've got practice violin, practice dance... etc. I also put in things like write in journal, write a letter, stitch, draw a picture for someone (more to help remind me to have them do some different activities and mix things up).


My children get money put in accounts for them automatically each paycheck, we aren't really great at giving an allowance -- and I certainly don't pay them for each card completed. Work is part of being a family -- they don't need to be rewarded for doing basic tasks... but I do sometimes have extra jobs they can do for a little money - but that is the exception not the norm.

I only do this in the summer - so it's more of a novelty for the kids. This works for me and maybe it might help you too so I thought I'd share! I could send the document I have with all the cards I use -- if someone would like it -- but you'd probably like to customize cards yourselves if you want to do this with your children!

2 comments:

Brandan & Haylie said...

LOVE IT!!

My kids are pretty good about doing what they are asked to do and that they help around the house because they are part of our family...we don't pay an allowance either for basic things but I want to do something where the kids can earn a little money so that they can learn about the law of tithing more by actually participating.

Amy C. said...

Love this too. My kids like to check things off a list but I think they would like this too -especially for the words my little ones can't read.