
This is me at graduation with 3 of my best friends, Colby, Jeff and Spencer. (Thanks to Creative Memories in High School for slaughtering all my photo's to annoying circles and other odd shapes.)
We had so many good times together and most of it was laughing hard and going on all kinds of crazy adventures. Thank you to my parents for allowing us to hang out, watch movies and laugh in the basement all the while filling up on the all plentiful RICE CRISPY TREATS from my dad's work.
One May afternoon, (Jr yr) we decided to leave school a little early. We drove over to Play-It-Again sports (a used sporting goods store) and we purchased a 3 man raft. Then the three guys above and my friend Shandee and I drove up Provo canyon, plopped our raft into the river and all five of us hopped in. No further then about 4 feet out on the river we capsized sending all of us into the FREEZING cold, quickly moving, runoff water of Provo river. I was caught under the raft briefly and remember thinking...well, they will find my dead body at the dam and then my parents will know I "sluffed" (Utah slang for skipping class). We tried to stop ourselves from being pulled down stream, the river knocking off our shoes in it's swift current -- Shandee and I tried to stop ourselves by grabbing branches which ended up just ripping off the skin on our palms.
Finally, the river turned and slowed and we were able to get to a rocky bank. I remember all of us laying there coughing and sputtering, calling out names to see if everyone was okay and accounted for. I can't believe I can laugh at it now -- what idiots! Once we recovered I think we went home and got shoes, most of us having lost one or both of ours -- and then went hiking the falls! (Our hiking adventures are another whole story. i.e. - Me saving Jeff from plummeting down the mountain by diving after to stop him.)
3 comments:
I have not heard the word sluffing for so long, definitely a Utah word. Thanks for posting that picture, that is totally how I remember you.
Okay totally funny. I can't even remember how many times we did dumb things while sluffing that could have resulted in us getting caught. That is pretty scary stuff though.
Ha! The things we all did when we were young (now doesn't it terrify you to think about your kids doing the things we all did when we were young??); I think about that all the time...
Post a Comment