Thursday, August 21, 2008

Strawberry Shortcake


I purchase a large thing of strawberries from Costco for Swedish pancakes and so I needed to come up with something other than freezer jam to use them up, I've made pie so much and so I wanted something different so last night I whipped up Strawberry Shortcake and this is now my favorite recipe for strawberry shortcake. I don't understand why people us that spongy stuff from the store or store biscuits when these are so easy and so much better. I love the egg and sugar top. It makes a crunchy caramelized top to the shortcakes which I love. If I had some of that larger crystal (natural) sugar I might use that next time but the granulated work just fine!

Shortcakes

2 c. all-purpose flour
1 T. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
3 T. sugar
8 T. butter, chilled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 lg. egg, beaten
1/2 c. milk (I use slightly more)

1 lg. egg white, lightly beaten
2 T. sugar

Heat over to 425 degrees. Mix flour, baking powder, salt, sugar in bowl (I use food processor but can use bowl and pastry cutter). Scatter butter pieces over mixture and pulse five times. Continue until flour is pale yellow and resembles coarse cornmeal. Turn mixture into medium bowl.
Mix beaten egg with milk; pour into flour mixture. Combine with rubber spatula until large clumps form. Turn mixture out into floured surface and lightly knead until it comes together. Roll out to 3/4 inch thick (about 9-6 inch square) being careful not to overwork dough. Flour a biscuit cutter (any like shaped cutter would work - I've even used a glass in years past.
Place on cookie sheet and brush with egg whites and sprinkle with sugar.
Bake until golden brown about 12-14 minutes. Cool 10 minutes.
Split along natural crack on the side and place bottom on serving plate. Spoon portion of fruit over bottom piece and dollop of whipped cream. Cap with top piece (I repeated the fruit on the top).
*****For the strawberries I crush/mash up about a cups worth of strawberries and maybe 1/2 c. sugar and then add another cup of large sliced strawberries.

No comments: