Tuesday, November 11, 2008

What is this you wonder?


I was down here in the office, and Elizabeth was next to me at her desk coloring, and I looked at her hair and saw this chunk missing, it was hard to tell if it was part of the layering at first so I got up and fluffed her hair with my fingers. It just didn't look right and I said, "Elizabeth, did you cut your hair?" Elizabeth looked up with her bright eye's and as honestly and sweetly as one could imagine, said, "no mama", she even ended the response with the slight inflection of a question at the end, like "why would someone do that?" I dismissed it with a "We never use our scissors to cut anything besides paper, huh?!" and figured it was something previously from the girl who did Elizabeth's hair at LaVilla Salon while Amy was out of commission.
Note: This was towards the beginning of preschool and we had been practising every morning with Elizabeth to trace her name and cut out along a line, to improve her dexterity using scissors. A small pencil box lay on the corner of the kitchen counter specifically filled with necessary tools.
Upon leaving the office I went upstairs to the kitchen where I saw the scissors from our morning work and little pieces of paper which I subsequently cleaned up, then placed the scissors and markers back in the box.
A couple hours later before McCall arrived home I hit the family room to do a toy/book sweep. As I bent to pick up a book I noticed something strange on the carpet. It was light yellow, and fuzzy. As I reached down and picked it up, to my horror I realized it was a child's hair... "Did she go and cut it after I gave her the idea!!" Was my naive initial thought then common sense reigned in and I realized the little turd had lied to me. Upon finding a couple more little tufts, I set them on the counter took a picture and called Elizabeth down.
I explained how disappointed I was that she cut her hair which meant we would be taking away her privileges to use scissors for the next little while, but even more disappointing was the fact that I asked her if she cut her hair and she said "No" which I explained was a lie, and thus for the lie I would be removing all barbie and associated accessories. This was devastating to her I know, but I hope she understood the lesson that we must be honest and tell the truth even, and especially, if it's hard.
I hope we are through with this little hair cutting stint!

4 comments:

Lanae said...

Oh no! I guess every kid tries to experiment with one thing or another. I cut a big chunk of my hair off when I was 2, my brother cut off all of his eyelashes when he was about 2... I guess those scissors where just too easy to reach! Kids do the funniest things.

Brandan & Haylie said...

Haven't had this issue with any of my kids...they've been more of the writing on the wall type.

Amy C. said...

I can't figure out the lying thing either. No one teaches them -they just do it! Hope she learned a lesson. I'll be in for a bit on Friday if it needs fixing.

Emily said...

It looks like we had the same week!! I don't know why it is so tempting for them.