Yesterday I read this and it really got me thinking...
Joseph Smith Jr. "warned against a disposition to consider the lower offices in the Church dishonorable and to look with jealous eyes upon the standing of others" This he said, "was the nonsense of the human heart, for a person to be aspiring to other stations than appointed of God."
When I read this I thought about two extremes I've observed. Some who seem to hold their personal value and worth in the status of a church calling. Constantly speaking about their position, letting all know of their good works, and assuming their calling makes them more worthy, or means they are more loved or respected by the Lord - inadvertantly telling anyone in a "lower" office they are inferior. On the other side of the spectrum there are those who think they are inferior because they have not held a "high" calling. Who feel useless as a teacher and fail to see the contribution or the worth because it is not seen by "all".
When I though of this I thought of the Savior and His service. What was He doing? What would He be doing? I think He would be in the nursery, on the floor loving and cuddling those sweet babes. He would be in primary teaching a child on his lap, kissing the cheek and showing them love. He would be in the home as a teacher, lifting a burden and caring for a family.
Of all the callings in the church, I think I respect the unseen ones the most. Don't get me wrong I completely sustain and love the leadership of the church, i have great respect for those who lead us...local and general. I just wonder if when we stand before the Lord to account, if the positions He will hold in highest esteem and will be the most pleased with, will be the ones that no sees, for the one's that are seen, well, they have their reward.
I hope I can do a better job of being the one behind the scene, helping, getting on the floor, doing what is needed. I so love this book and how it is helping me evaluate my life.
No comments:
Post a Comment