
So this is a memory from Sarah Lunt, and it is so funny that I just had to share...It is so typical of Sarah to have a memory like this -- it seems her life is full of them! Ahh, I'm still wiping away tears (maybe it helps because I can picture it all!)
Sarah wrote:
"We were newlyweds and my ward was hosting an enrichment dinner at the Covey's beautiful home! Sister Covey was going to talk to us about manners I think...and just being a gracious person. Her talk was wonderful and so was the food. When it was over we said goodbye to everyone and headed out to the car. The Covey's lived on a hill in north Provo/Orem and we just parked on the street. I drove the only car that Darin and I owned at the time...which was a blue-green VW Fox...let's just say that a car like that is hard to find, very rare. I unlocked the door and got in, reached around and unlocked the passenger side and put the key in the ignition. For some reason the key wouldn't turn. The car was old and so we thought the steering wheel got locked up. So you and I kept jerking on the steering wheel trying to get it to unlock so it would start...but nothin'! Then we thought maybe it just needed a little push, so we took off the emergency brake and pushed it a little way down the hill, jumped in and tried it again. Nothing happened again. Pretty soon a big crowd from the activity was gathering and we were explaining that the car wouldn't start. Then I noticed that one of the hubcaps was missing and there was a rusty dent in the side. We were like, "NO WAY! Someone hit the car while we were in there and didn't even leave a note!" Sister Covey came out and asked if we wanted to call the cops and we said no we'd just call Tyler to come get us. As you ran in to call Tyler I chatted with everyone about "the accident". You came back and said Tyler was on his way. Almost everyone had left the activity but one girl who lived about a building down from me came over to see what was wrong. As I told her she said, "What car?" and I said, "This one." pointing to it. She said, "Oh, that's my car." LOL The whole time we were pushing the wrong car down the hill and yanking on the steering wheel! I don't think I've ever laughed so hard in my life. I'm sure Sister Covey and the other "have-it-all-together" women there were cracking up over us. But seriously, I had NEVER seen another blue-green VW Fox in my life! And I surely didn't know my neighbor had one! So we looked up the hill, and just one more car away was MY VW Fox!!!I seriously think we are like Lucy and Ethel!"
Sarah wrote:
"We were newlyweds and my ward was hosting an enrichment dinner at the Covey's beautiful home! Sister Covey was going to talk to us about manners I think...and just being a gracious person. Her talk was wonderful and so was the food. When it was over we said goodbye to everyone and headed out to the car. The Covey's lived on a hill in north Provo/Orem and we just parked on the street. I drove the only car that Darin and I owned at the time...which was a blue-green VW Fox...let's just say that a car like that is hard to find, very rare. I unlocked the door and got in, reached around and unlocked the passenger side and put the key in the ignition. For some reason the key wouldn't turn. The car was old and so we thought the steering wheel got locked up. So you and I kept jerking on the steering wheel trying to get it to unlock so it would start...but nothin'! Then we thought maybe it just needed a little push, so we took off the emergency brake and pushed it a little way down the hill, jumped in and tried it again. Nothing happened again. Pretty soon a big crowd from the activity was gathering and we were explaining that the car wouldn't start. Then I noticed that one of the hubcaps was missing and there was a rusty dent in the side. We were like, "NO WAY! Someone hit the car while we were in there and didn't even leave a note!" Sister Covey came out and asked if we wanted to call the cops and we said no we'd just call Tyler to come get us. As you ran in to call Tyler I chatted with everyone about "the accident". You came back and said Tyler was on his way. Almost everyone had left the activity but one girl who lived about a building down from me came over to see what was wrong. As I told her she said, "What car?" and I said, "This one." pointing to it. She said, "Oh, that's my car." LOL The whole time we were pushing the wrong car down the hill and yanking on the steering wheel! I don't think I've ever laughed so hard in my life. I'm sure Sister Covey and the other "have-it-all-together" women there were cracking up over us. But seriously, I had NEVER seen another blue-green VW Fox in my life! And I surely didn't know my neighbor had one! So we looked up the hill, and just one more car away was MY VW Fox!!!I seriously think we are like Lucy and Ethel!"
2 comments:
That's funny. One thing in common with the older cars is that you can open them with a key from another car easily. I did the same thing with my cousin's car. It was an old Toyota something, and she was letting me borrow it to run somewhere. We were at the mall and there happened to be 2 of them there. I got in the car, but couldn't start it. It drove me crazy till I realized it wasn't hers....
Thanks for highlighting me on your blog! I thought that was the funniest thing ever...glad to know my embarrassing moments are comic relief for others as well!
Post a Comment