Wednesday, August 27, 2008

On my Honor to do my Best

I'll be upfront and tell you right now I am just going to rant a bit -- but I just spent an hour and a half trying to accomplish two minor things at the scout office amid my fed up three year old, and my fussing 1 year old. It is time's like this that I really start to question the whole scouting program. Not the benefits of the program and what it means to the boys -- I think those are all good things. I just wish the church would jump in and reorganize it. Cut out all the read tape and simplify the process; cut out all the ridiculous fee's and procedures set up just to necessitate expense; reduce the cost of uniforms and badges, neckerchiefs and socks; eliminate the high fee's and charges for camps and charges simply to be a unit. Maybe this frustration and growing hostility stems partly from the fact that on Sunday I was handed the "friends of scouting" packet for the third or fourth time since being called as committee chair -- and I'm just done being that annoying person asking parents/leaders to go out and collect money, participate in flags, get this application signed again because the scout office made a mistake and we have to pay for it....
It's moments like this that I have to remind myself that I was called by the Lord to serve here and he expects me to fulfill my responsibilities the best that I can. SOOOOOO...That is why I continue to drag my girls around and wait in long lines and hope that someday they grow up knowing what sacrifice means and how much I love the Lord. I just need to remember why I'm doing this sometimes!




So seriously, I just got to this point and was going to post and McCall said their was someone at the door. I went up and this little boy was standing there and I thought -- I guess it's that time of year, schools started and time for fundraising. Then the little boy said he was lost and didn't know where he was and could he call his mom? I gave him the phone and he called and just started crying. I felt so bad and I asked if he wanted me to talk to his mom. I told her where he was and she seemed hesitant and asked if I could point him in the right direction and send him home (she couldn't get him right now for some reason.) He was pretty scared and still had two miles of difficult roads to maneuver on the googled map. (I won't tell you what my opinion is of the mother who didn't drop everything and come pick him up but I don't know what was going at their house.) I loaded my girls in, his bike and had him climb in and drove him home up by Eaglecrest Elementary to make sure he made it home safely - I was worried he'd get lost again. He was only 11 years old. I guess the map reading and navigation is important and whatever means necessary, scouting and all, to help youth acquire important skills is important. Maybe my calling isn't so hopeless!
Another Tender Mercy. Thank you!

3 comments:

Amy C. said...

So glad the little guy was led to your house and you were able to take care of him. I am sure his mom really appreciated knowing there was someone wonderful to take care of him.

Sorry about your calling. It sounds like it might be time for a new one.

Brandan & Haylie said...

I totally agree with your feelings about all the red tape that comes with Scouting and for some they 'live and die' by Scouting. I believe it is a program that is beneficial to the boys that do it as long as it compliments the Duty to God program not replaces it.

You do so well at any calling that your given and I know that Brandan liked having you as the Committee Chair because he knew that you would magnify that calling. So the only way I see to get a new calling would be to screw-up at this one, right?

Also, after reading about the lost boy, I think he might have felt that knocking on your door might have been an answer to his prayer of help with he realized it or not. Not many strangers would drop what they were doing to help someone else out, child or not.
Hopefully his mother realizes the blessing that his return home was.

Ashley said...

Thanks Haylie. You always make me feel good!