Conference always seems to come just when I need it most. Maybe after 6 months the previous enlightenment has started to fade away and I need to submerge myself in the enriching talks once more. It seems like, while every talk is excellent, that a few are specifically just for me, directed to me, by a loving Father in Heaven.
Maybe it's because it was the first talk that it sticks our so prominently in my head. Maybe it is my love of Henry David Thoreau. I loved Elder L. Tom Perry's address on Saturday morning. I love the thought of creating our own Walden. As he broke down Thoreau's 4 necessities here are some of my quick thoughts and notes on what I heard...
1. Food: Take care of our bodies, follow the Word of Wisdom, get enough sleep; by following this counsel our bodies will be able to fulfill what is required of us. By showing respect and honoring our bodies we show obedience to God. I thought about trying to take care of my body just so it's healthy better than I have. I don't want to go to extremes, I don't want to be blown about by every new wind of doctrine - just be aware and smart.
Note to self: Get better Sleep!
2. Shelter: Live within our income & don't run into debt. Simplify our lives, create less, use less, save, thrift, ALL THE PROBLEMS OF SOCIETY STEM FROM LIVING OVER ONES MEANS. Don't get caught up in having more, don't think that what the world says is appropriate and acceptable in homes is what the Lord will look on as an acceptable use of His(our) funds. I hear of people who are losing businesses, homes, cars and such and it makes me upset because the irresponsibility of so many is causing this problem in the economy which effects everyone. We have always been counseled since the times of Joseph in Egypt that there will be times of plenty and times of famine. In those times of plenty why don't people store up something to weather the famine? People who purchased too big of a home, too much spent on a car, too much spent and not enough stored, and now the inability to sustain that lifestyle means the economy is ruined by so many bad choices by individuals. I feel bad for the employee's of businesses who's owners have done nothing but spend every cent they brought in. If those owners had stored some they would not be having to shut down and lay off so many or close down. Isn't this what Christ taught, think of others and not your own needs?
3. Clothing: simple and modest clothing, the way we dress effects our behavior and attitudes, CASUAL DRESS=CASUAL MANNERS, avoid grasping the wrong attention through dress, The Mockers of then and now had pride in there dress. With three daughters in my care I realize that every message I send to my daughters affects them more than anything the world is telling them, and unfortunately the world is telling them horrible, salvation destroying things. I think of the lilies of the field Matt. 6:28, why should we take thought...spend energy on our outward appearance so much when the lilies of the field are arrayed in the splendor and glory which Christ gave them.
Note to self: As I think of this, and my own thoughts and desires for my body, I think of my cute hubby, who, whenever I complain of my sagging chest or my chunky tummy, tells me how beautiful I am and that those things are not important. He is more concerned with my eternal salvation and happiness then a moments satisfaction in worldly pride here on earth. He is an ANGEL sent from heaven!
4. Fuel: Before he even started talking of this 4th necessity I was already thinking in the spiritual realm as opposed to storing wood, fuel, and oil. Be as the 5 virgins who had oil, be prepared, acquire a knowledge of His plan and our place in it. I loved that last bit. Isn't it true that if we really understand His plan, if we really conceptualize who we are and what we are doing here then everything falls into place and we are able to stand firm and avoid being swayed by the doctrines of Man = Satan.
----------------------------------------------------------------
I thought this is a meaningful video..especially what is being portrayed to our youth. I say youth because I so not believe it is just our daughter, boys seeing men or women portrayed in an incorrect light have misconstrued understanding too.
You'll want to pause the music on this blog before playing....
3 comments:
Thanks for sharing your thoughts about Conference. I for one was a total slacker and went camping. I did try to listen to some of it on the radio but with all the static it was difficult. I'm waiting for tomorrow so that I can get online and start reading what I missed.
As for the video clip...makes me want to make sure I teach my children that they are beautiful inside and out no matter what.
Thanks for your thoughts; you always have such a way with words and I love reading your insights.
You're a great mom and you really seem to have a grasp on what really counts.
I think the dove campaign is great. I didn't even realize how much they alter pics. Thanks for sharing and I hope I can help my girls develop enough self esteem that the media won't have as much as an effect on them. I think they sway not only the youth but adults as well. I contantly am comparing physical things on me to what I see. Hopefully I have enough maturity to filter it.
Post a Comment