Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Exterior Erik and I agree on... it's this or a classic all brick. (Click on picture to see full screen.)


Comment from the most amazing Jess on the House Plans...
"Yay!! You're blogging again! :)
Ok, so I probably have too much to say on this, but you said input is welcome so here you go!
In your girls' bathroom, do two sinks instead more counter space. Lauren and I are constantly waiting on one another in our bathroom when we're getting ready. It would be soooo nice to have two different areas. I know, we should be ok with being patient and sharing, but if given the choice I'd pick two.
I like the second kitchen best, but the third kitchen makes me think "Aunt Ashley" the most.
You should do curtains on the lockers in the mudroom. You can still "hide" what's inside, but you'll also avoid smashed fingers in cabinet doors when the girls are in a hurry. Plus, more design variety and color with fabric!
I love love love the idea of a seating area underneath stairs!! I can just see awesome imaginative ways that little girls could play there, and a little Peterson girl curled up inside reading a book or something. So cute.
You may have already thought this through, but have a "teenager" space. I know your girls are young, but I'm assuming you'll be in this house for a good while. I love having friends over to my house with my parents home because it is the easiest situation to make good choices around my friends, but we don't really have a good "hang out" place in our house. It definitely shouldn't be a totally closed off area, but enough that younger siblings won't disturb excessively.
I miss you guys!! Love you all! -Jess"
We really want teen feedback because that's exactly what we are moving for...
1. Yes, we will keep with the two sinks, good call.
2. "Aunt Ashley" makes me feel old. Erik and I just had a conversation about this. I was at dance and most the mothers were talking and graduated in 2000, and for the first time in my life I felt like the old mom! :)
3. Never thought of fabric - nice one designer Jess! Maureen said to do doors, and I started wondering that I considered having it all open to start with.  Even if it is one of McCall's regular jobs to clean the coat/backpack/shoe storage each Saturday morning, it still is such a mess all the time.
4. I think the seat is the most fun too!
5. Teen Space: Love your feedback. We removed the bonus room because it's a pain to keep warm/cool and we want two separate furnaces for main and basement and I don't want a third one up, plus bonus rooms sometimes are too remote and closed off! Plus we want to die in this home so it has to be good once all the kids are gone! We don't want too much space when they are all gone. I hope that we can make it workable with the two family rooms up/down, then younger and older can be separated. We considered having two girls share so we can use one room as a play room until 1. McCall goes off to BYU in 8 years (ouch!), or 2. the girls don't need a designated TOY room anymore! I'm also trying to negotiate a disco ball in the dance/exercise room cause I can see the girls playing there for hours, it's just those darn mirrors for the walls, they are expensive! We would do french doors on the entryway so a parent can always see in! In the craft/office space (up bedroom) I want wood so we can get our craft on, I see friends in their too, maybe we should do a great window seat or a comfy love seat in there so there's a place to hang? Thanks for getting me thinking, we really want our kids at our home and I'm trying to select carpet and flooring that will make it a place people will be comfortable - we don't want a home where food can't be enjoyed in the family room!
Thanks for your comments!

No comments: