So we got BOO'ed last week. You know... the ring of the doorbell, the treat left on the step, the return of two treats to another family and the ghost in the window.
So one evening, while McCall was at dance we made some cookies. I will not get into the details of baking cookies with helpers ages 6/4/2, my post is not about all of that, but needless to say that it in itself makes a great post.
So we finished placing the cookies in cellophane bags and headed out the door. There was a small battle over rain boots. I tried to tell the girls it's hard to run fast in rain boots but they wanted to wear them. "Okay, dig your own grave!" I thought.
So we head out ...
So... did you notice that all 4 paragraphs SO far have started with SO? I see a trend in which a lack of adjectives is deeply shocking! I am about being real, keeping it real, so rather than me editing out the above SO's into something more intelligent sounding, I am sacrificing my own personal pride and your perception of my intelligence and leaving the so's for the world (or the two readers of this blog), to view and judge me by. I will be more careful hitherto.
To continue on... we headed out with our cookies, if you still even remember where we were going with this... and went into the neighborhood.
House #1:
Elizabeth wanted to go to this home, so I stood by the mailboxes and told the girls to go and set the items on the front porch and then ring the doorbell two times and then RUN, Forrest, RUN... (ahem) and hide.
Onward they trudge in those darn boots, (in case you have forgotten amid my rambling, the girls are in rain boots), and arrive at the home. Elizabeth is carefully holding the bag of the cookies, while Claire is running ahead with the paper. As they approach the door Claire is at this point most certainly in the lead and I see her drop the paper and reach for the doorbell. "Oh no, busted!" I think. At that same moment I hear Elizabeth scream, about 10 feet from the door, "NO CLAIRE! NO! Don't ring it yet!"
Now, I am watching all this from across a cul-de-sac, and laughing quite profusely. If I can hear the girls from my distance, I'm sure everyone in the home can too!
Among the two girls they get the whole leave the items THEN ring the bell discussion sorted out and the bell gets rung and then they run behind the parked van in the driveway. Despite their best efforts to get caught by peeking out from behind the said van, the homes door gets closed and the girls run away, "thump thump thump" as the rain boots slap their shins across the cul-de-sac.
House #2:
This home has a steep drive and a lot of steps. I told the girls it was a risky getaway but in case you are as uninformed as me, my girls are smarter than I am.
I hide around the bend in the road behind the neighbors motor home with a perfect view of the 'home on the hill'. The girls trudge (still in boots) in the direction of the home.
As they near the home a large truck pulls into our subdivision. It turns the corner by where I am positioned and starts to pull up to the 'home on the hill'. My first instinct was to run out thinking this person is going to snatch my girls. The girls are now heading up the steep dive, as the passenger door of the truck opens and out pops a youth. "Oh crap I think, the son is home from football!"
The rest is basically a blur because the girls are at the door with the youth approaching, I'm thinking "ABORT, ABORT!" and laughing so hard I'm having a hard time standing upright with Stella in my arms.
The girls come dashing back, "thump, thump, thump" and when they get to the safety of the motor home I say, "So you got caught?" Wide eyed, excited, and heavily breathing they tell me "No, we didn't". I ask, "But what about 'name of youth'?" Elizabeth tells me "Well he just said, "what is going on!" but we rang the doorbell and ran away." Claire added, "no one even caught us!"
They returned home thinking they are they greatest, smartest spies in the whole wide world. CIA BEWARE!
HAPPY HALLOWEEN!
No comments:
Post a Comment