"Nothing is so much calculated to lead people to forsake sin as to take them by the hand and watch over them with tenderness..."*As I thought about all the mistakes I make on a daily basis, as a wife, mother, friend and especially in my calling I thought of the difference kindness makes. Sometimes I feel sick over how apparent my sins and shortcomings are (and I'm supposed to serve the sisters when I am so full of error?). When I read the above I thought about the difference when people treat one another with love and those who seem to want to criticise and find error with every move someone makes. I see the difference in those who look for good and find it and those who are waiting at an instant to take something said or done the very worst way.
I think one thing that has been the hardest about my calling right now is that some people think that leadership puts you in a position to judge. We hear that some will be a judge in Israel and that's true but at times I feel like sisters want to apologize to me for shortcomings, I sometimes want to say, do you think you have to explain to ME? Me who is so full of sin and error? Do you think I can judge you? I'm having to stockpile forgiveness from the Lord, I can't afford to make apparent my beam by pointing out others mote!
I don't think that I was a judgemental person before, but I can really see how this calling has helped me to see the gold which is in everyone, to not take offense, because you just don't know the history, how someone was feeling and what was going on when something was done or said. It has helped me see that we are all just trying to sort our way through.
I am so grateful for the people in my life who have lead with love and set the example; for a husband who wants me to be the daughter that Heavenly Father intended me to be, for a Bishop and my presidency who put up with me and all my errors and accept my offering even when I know I should be doing so much more to help, for friends who see my faults yet love me anyway, and for my daughters who love me and who forgive me when I have made mistakes.
*From: Daughters in My Kingdom
No comments:
Post a Comment