Each Saturday morning my girls are expected to jump in and help out around the house. If we don't get things done on Saturday then our week gets messy and complicated so we try to be consistent in what has to happen before fun time can start.
In our house we have to be specific, so that the girls know what we expect. If we say bedroom and bathroom it just isn't enough, so the girls have things broken down for them somewhat. I got inspired from Shawni.
Bedroom:
Beds are pretty much a given every day of the week, so I don't even have them on the list. You make your bed or you don't play! The older two are great, the younger ones I have to remind often. Stella still gets some help making hers!
1. Dust bed, dresser, nightstand.
(Includes wiping finger prints off of these items too.)
2. Put away everything on furniture.
(All those papers, notes, trinkets, jewelry, books out of place on the bookshelf, toys not put back, ALL OF IT has to be off the dressers, bookcases and nightstands and be put away.)
I knew I could go down and get a good example from McCall. Man I love that girl!
Here is what I expect. This is Elizabeth.
3. Organize clothing.
(This means clothes off floor or that missed the dirty clothes basket. Drawers need to be cleaned and everything folded. Closets organized all clothes hung up in order and shoes in boxes.)
This is what I check for.
4. Pick out clothes for next week.
(see this post.)
5. Vacuum Bedroom
Bathroom:
This one applies to McCall and Elizabeth in their bathrooms. Claire does the basement bathroom but I do the toilet and help oversee the wiping of sink, counter and mirror.
6. Clean your bathroom
(Scrub counter, sink, mirror, toilet, (shower/bath), shake rug, sweep floor and empty trash)
Other:
McCall and Elizabeth have different spots they clean each week.
McCall cleans the coats and shoes at the front door.
Lizzie cleans the bookcases in her room ^ and the 2 girls' room. (McCall's bookcase is under the furniture section of room cleaning. She isn't pulling books out each day like the little ones do, albeit the pencils, erasers and notes from school clutter her shelves to catch up to the little ones messes easily.)
They have a couple other jobs they are responsible for and they check them off with the other jobs. You can see what I use here!
FOR MOM:
I try to get my room and bathroom, kitchen, living room and family rooms cleaned before Saturday so that I can help the kids move along with theirs, but if not, then I'm catching up doing those on Saturday with the girls. I do have a weekly cleaning chart which I do most of the time and I'll share that tip sometime too.
In addendum:
We started this at the beginning of the school year. We have a different way for jobs over the summer. On the first Saturday it took us a while to get the girls drawers cleaned and I heard McCall mumbling in her room ... "I am going to keep my drawers so clean that next Saturday I won't even have to clean them!"
My point EXACTLY Calla!
Just last Saturday McCall had to get the vacuum out THREE times (NO JOKE: re-winding the cord up and all) to vacuum and re-vacuum the family room because I kept finding popcorn and other stuff from Friday night.
Erik thought I was being too hard but you know, if you say it nicely then I don't see the problem and I promise you this week she will remember to do it right the first go round!
I think it's preparing the girls for life in the real world. What happens in college or in the workplace when they don't give it their best or do it right. They need to learn these lessons now from a loving parent.
No comments:
Post a Comment