Monday, October 17, 2011

Monday and manners

So I have a great respect for our youth, I think the world of them and know that they are capable of amazing things. I have high expectations, but so does the Lord. I talked to a primary leader recently who told me about a struggle with children in our primary and tech toys. She explained the hardship leaders face with these devices.

We had considered a device for McCall, but worried she wasn't completely ready. It prompted a conversation with a primary teacher who was telling me about the struggles with her class and the attention being taken and time spend trying to revert attention back to the lesson and away from the device.

I know it's one of those "grey" areas where a lot has to do with parents - where they are at and how they feel. But when it disrupts a teacher, a class or a primary, YM/YW, it passes beyond the parents feelings I believe. We can completely miss the mark and talk about the good these gadgets can do, and good people who use them. For adults who have been taught and know how to use gadgets properly, it is acceptable to use them in a church setting. (Albeit many adults miss the mark on proper use too!)

But what about the youth? When are they responsible enough to know when to use and not to use these devices?

It got me thinking about what the real problem is. It is not the devices themselves. You could believe that any device is incompatible with anything close to good manners. I disagree... it's the people operating them. For our youth, it's the same problem we face with so many other issues today. Lack of teaching, guidance and follow up on behalf of the parents.

Etiquette is basically about paying some attention to the convenience and comfort of the people that you interact with. Whether technology is involved or not, the basics of good manners apply. "Technology doesn’t cause or contribute to breaches in manners, it just put a new face on old symptoms of inattention,indifference,or boorishness."

I'll step off my soapbox now. :)

No comments: