Thursday, March 29, 2012

Crazy

We purchased our home newly built in February of 1999. Honestly we dropped by an Ivory site for Erik to check on something, saw the available home and two weeks later we had the keys. Crazy.

But what is more crazy is in all those years we have never, ever, not once, opened and peeked into the attic.

When we moved in, for the first month or two I used to tell Erik we needed to check up there.

For all we know someone could be living up there.

I'm serious.

I used to spook myself some nights thinking, "what if someone is living up there?" They might have moved in before the house closed. What if they only come down during the day when we are gone?

I worked full time and would come home sometimes and open the fridge and check if all the food was still there. 

I would check to see if any hand towels were wet from someone washing their hands after using the bathroom.

Now a rational person would get a ladder and pop open the panel and peek inside. But a rational person probably didn't watch the program "The People Across the Lake" a made for TV movie which dead people, and one living crazy man who took care of them, were living or "staying" for the dead ones, in the secret basement of a home of a recently moved in family.  Crazy.

We recorded that show and showed it to the fellow neighbor kids. We watching it over and over, again and again and man alive...I still get goosebumps and shivers thinking about it.

But back to the rational person who would address the issue by looking in the attic.

When I even thought about checking it out, I would get a hollow feeling in my lungs and my stomach would drop and my shoulders would shake at the thought of climbing the rungs of the ladder, pushing up that panel... 

and then seeing two feet standing there...

or worse...two EYES!

I could never do it and when I told Erik to do it he just looked at me like I was crazy and would completely ignore me. But really, I just think he was scared.

Somehow, amazingly, I got over this fear and was ableto sleep at night and sort of forgot about it...until...

A few days ago when I was vacuuming all the bedroom ceilings and corners and came across the attic entry in the ceiling...

Then it all came rushing back to me!

SERIOUSLY... Have you checked your attic?

1 comment:

Amy C. said...

I watched a 20/20 (or some kind of show like that) once. About just this! People really do live in other peoples attics without them knowing in real life. But I had totally forgotten all about it ... great now how will I ever sleep?