Depending on which translation you follow it states...
1 Now, these are the words which Jesus taught his disciples that they should say unto the people
2 Judge not unrightously, that ye be not judged; but judge righteous judgement.
3 For with that judgement ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.
4 And again, ye shall say unto them, Why is it that thou beholdest the mote that is in thy brother’s eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
5 Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and canst not behold a beam in thine own eye?
6 And Jesus said unto his disciples, Beholdest thou the Scribes, and the Pharisees, and the Priests, and the Levites? They teach in their synagogues, but do not observe the law, nor the commandments; and all have gone out of the way, and are under sin.
7 Go thou and say unto them, Why teach ye men the law and the commandments, when ye yourselves are the children of corruption?
8 Say unto them, Ye hypocrites, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother’s eye.
As I pondered this verse, I started thinking about what the Lord wanted us to learn from this council. Here are the thoughts which came to mind...
Judge/Judgement/Judging
Jesus spoke about unrighteous judgement. Jesus spoke also of members of the privileged House of Israel who had gone astray from the teachings of His gospel. He spoke of leaders of His house who had been made High Priests yet still had a "summer home" in Babylon.
Jesus spoke of sin. I read a fabulous book my Mom gave me entitled, "Weakness is Not Sin". It certainly was not a book about justifying sin. Sin is sin and limits us from the presence of God. Weakness is more human. Weaknesses often lead to the most powerful and glorious change of heart. Weaknesses often, but not always, lead to STRENGTH.
We all have judgement. We judge between what the Spirit speaks to our hearts as right and wrong. We have to judge between good and evil every day. We judge how to spend our time, we judge how to bring up our children. We judge, consider and evaluate our lives. Sometimes, as we kneel in supplication to receive guidance in our judgements, we see we are on the wrong path, we see we need to change. Sometimes, as we kneel, we see we are okay, we feel the confirmation and love of God in our lives.
Hypocrites
I know it's bad to hate something but I do this one word. It's ugly and hard. It is not correction with love. It is not correction. It's accusation. I really dislike it's use.
Why?
As we study the gospel and learn about a woman taken in sin ready to be stoned for her sins. The Savior asks for the man without sin to cast the first stone. No one did. The Savior admonished the woman to go and "sin no more" as she had no "accusers".
I am always sensitive in the use of the word hypocrite because really, who is without sin? In my opinion the minute you say it you become a "user" or you become one.
I have found in my own life, and as I watch the example of others and relationships between others, that very often the things we are most critical or intolerant of in others are often the things which we most struggle with or are guilty of. I am critical of worldliness, but that is because I struggle with it myself.
I've always liked the line from a U2 song... "A liar never believes anyone else." Same thread.
Casting out the beam
We have judgement, we have hypocrisy, but what do we need to do?
There is something so important here in the last line of the Saviors instruction on this point: First cast out the beam, then help cast out the mote. Should we never point out the mote? No, that is not what I believe this scripture teaches. Why did the Savior use the word FIRST? Why not use only? Only cast out your beam.
Ponder the word HELP.
When we face sin, weakness, problems, heartbreak, trouble - whatever makes up our beam - we (hopefully) learn empathy and love, we learn about support, understanding and gentle guidance. When we have experienced trials, of one category or another, don't we become kinder and more understanding? When we make mistakes and repent, aren't we more compassionate to others when we do correct or point out weaknesses or sin? Are we not more apt to do it with love and kindness rather then cruelty and meanness? Does evil speaking, criticism, mocking, finger pointing ever qualify to the Savior as "help"?
Conclusion
Sadly in the world today this scripture is often interpreted and used with anger, mocking and finger pointing.
I think this is wrong.
I strongly believe the interpretation of this scripture is all about love, understanding and FORGIVENESS. It is about using our own personal experiences, our own suffering and tears, to help others through their own suffering and tears. We utilize the pain and knowledge we received removing our piece of wood to help others remove theirs.
---
I'm grateful for the experiences I have had, good and bad, that help me learn about the love of the Savior and His teachings. His love helps heal my heart and the pain He suffered, oh that horrible and unjust suffering, the cruelty of others, their mocking and scorn; it is that pain, it is the "wounded Christ" that heals me.
The End. Finished. No More. Moving on.
No comments:
Post a Comment